Lionism began in the United States on June 17, 1917, when a group of twenty five independent clubs joined together in Chicago under the guidance of Melvin Jones, an insurance executive. Helen Keller challenged the Lions at their convention in 1925 when she asked them to become her “Knights of the Blind”. Fighting preventable blindness became their primary objective since that time.
As of 2011 there are over 46,000 clubs with 1.35 million members in 185 countries and geographical areas.
The first Lioness Club was established in 1975. Lioness Clubs work in conjunction with Lions Clubs, performing service in the same areas of concern.
The Buchanan Lioness Club was chartered in April of 1990 and is sponsored by the Mercersburg Lions Club.
The Buchanan Lioness Club’s regular meetings are held on the fourth Tuesday of each month at the Mercersburg Moose Lodge, 107 Landis Dr., Mercersburg, PA. Social begins at 6:00 PM and the meeting begins at 6:30 PM.
Why become a Lioness?
- The opportunity to contribute to the growth and improvement of your community.
- The opportunity to fulfill one’s responsibility to society and humanity.
- The deep satisfaction that comes from helping others.
- Fellowship and friendship shared with all club members.
- Affiliation with the world’s largest service organization.
- The opportunity to develop leadership skills and move up to attain offices at your club, the district and international levels.
- The chance to meet new friends and business contacts.
- Fun meetings with informational and entertaining programs.
- Sharing in pride of doing good works as a service organization and sharing in pride for your clubs accomplishments.
How you can become a member of the Buchanan Lioness Club:
Just contact one of our local members. She will be able to give you all of the information that you need.
Or, send us a message from the "contact" area of this website and our membership chairperson will get back to you with club and meeting information.
Or, visit us at one of our functions; any member will be happy to answer any questions that you might have.
Join the fun and help give back to the community that you live in.
It’s a great feeling to know that you have helped make a positive difference in others lives.
First Buchanan Lioness Meeting
Meeting was held at the Foot of The Mountain, April 1990